Bergoyne 3-Column

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Warning Signs

A couple months ago on a Sunday Morning, my wife and our two boys Cooper (4) and Sawyer (2) were on our way to church.  We tend to take the back roads on some hilly terrain.  The boys think its like a roller coaster.  At the end of the "ride" we come to a stop sign.  I proceed as I normally do, slowing down as I approach the stop sign and then come to a mild stop (rolling stop) or as the law calls it, not stopping at all.

This is the Dialog of what took place immediately after:

Cooper: "Dad was that a stop sign back there?"

Me: (feeling like a very proud father) "Yes Cooper that was a stop sign, Good Job!" 

Cooper: "That means you are suppose to stop"

Me: (still feeling proud) "That's right!"

Cooper: "Well why didn't you stop"

Me: (not feeling so proud) "Huh?"

Cooper: "You didn't stop and your suppose to stop"

Me: "Yeah"

Cooper: "Huh?"

Me: "Mind your own business"

Cooper: "huh?"

Me: "Never mind"

As the journey continued and we arrived at church, I couldn't help but think of the event that had taken place.  Cooper, only 4, recognized my error and was merely trying to help me correct my actions.  I, the stubborn mule, responded the way most mules would, stubbornly.

I couldn't help but think of how we as believers hear that voice that is there to guide us and help us take the right path in our lives.  We hear it every day, often hourly and yet, our response is the same as mine was that day to Cooper: "Mind your own business".  Our selfishness and desire to feed our flesh is strong and often out weighs our desire to do what is right  and Glorify Christ.

Coopers point was not to antagonize, belittle or bring me down in any way.  Neither is the Holy Spirit.
Pray today for a humble heart.  One that can listen to the Spirit and heed the call of the warning signs when they are present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment